As of 11.59pm Tuesday 21 September, Auckland moves to Alert Level 3
Our staff are committed to safely providing the best guidance and service possible to help navigate families through this difficult time. We are taking instructions from the Ministry of Health and The Funeral Directors Association of New Zealand.
All 3 of our facilities are within the Auckland Region, but our Funeral Directors are able to travel between borders, with travel exemption and weekly covid tests, to continue to care for your loved one.
Our facilities are being cleaned and sanitised each time a family visits, so be assured we are doing all we can to keep you safe.
Alert Level 3
- At Alert Level 3 you can hold a funeral, tangihanga or burial but these are limited to 10 people. This does not include our staff or clergy.
- Formal tangihanga involving large gatherings cannot take place at Alert Level 3
- Families and communities must not carry out funerals themselves.
- Only a registered funeral director can handle the deceased.
- No food or drink can be served at a funeral or tangihanga.
- Our staff will be wearing a face covering at all times
If you are attending a funeral, we ask that you;
- keep 2 metres away from people you do not live with
- avoiding physical contact, including harirū, hongi, kissing and hugging
- wear a face covering.
- 2 family members from the same bubble as the deceased are allowed to dress their loved one — this must be carried out in the presence of an embalmer or funeral director.
- You can view your loved one at our Tuakau Chapel by appointment only
- This time will be restricted to one hour
- Up to 10 people from the same bubble can view at a time
- The 10 person limit does not include staff who are attending.
- You can only go to view the deceased once.
- Everyone attending a viewing must wear a face covering.
Legally we must keep a record of all the people who enter the funeral home.
Travel for Funerals
You can travel to another region within Alert Level 3 to attend a funeral, however travelling across the Alert Level boundary is still restricted to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. If you need to travel to an Alert Level 2 region to attend a funeral, you will need to apply for an exemption from the Ministry of Health. Exemptions are only granted on a case-by-case basis and are not guaranteed.
Apply for an exemption (external link)
Alert Level 2
- Gatherings of up to 100 people indoors, for example an indoor funeral or tangi at a marae are permitted. This does not include staff.
- Gatherings of up to 100 people outdoors, for example a burial or internment are permitted. This does not include our staff.
- Physical distancing requirements of two metres is required.
- Face covering are mandatory by those attending a funeral or tangihanga and staff.
- Our funeral home will have infection control measures in place during the funeral or tangihanga to protect people from COVID-19.
- We will have an official NZ COVID Tracer QR code displayed and attendees will be required to sign in.
- We are also required to keep a register of all persons entering the funeral home for the purposes of any viewing or religious/cultural rituals which take place. This register will include
- The duration of indoor gatherings should be minimised to less than two hours.
- If a viewing of the deceased person is being held in a private dwelling, marae, church, community hall, mosque or the like, there can be multiple viewings for groups of up to 100 people at any one time.
- These limits exclude workers such as kaikōrero, kaikaranga, members of the clergy and the funeral director.
- A two metre distance is required between household bubbles. It is recommended you avoid kissing, and hugging.
- A defined space is an indoor or outdoor space with walls or partitions (whether permanent or temporary) that substantially divide that space from other spaces, or an outdoor space where there is more than two metres between all members or separate groups.
Please visit the https://covid19.govt.nz/activities/funerals-tangihanga-and-last-rites/ for more information.
Useful COVID-19 Grief Resources
COVID-19 Grief Resource - When no funeral, tangi or farewell gatherings can take place
Funeral Directors Association NZ
Getting through Together
Mental Health Foundation NZ
For further information and support, please contact our office on (09) 2368919